Welcome to the Wellington Region Kidney Society Inc.
WRKS is all about: 'People Supporting People'.
In the last couple of years especially, WRKS has become very active and involved in supporting renal patients within the Greater Wellington Region. WRKS has established several initiatives such as:
* providing both CAPD and hemodialysis patients with take home packs (equipment they will need when they go home to dialyse).
* offering a 'Befriender's Scheme' which is an opportunity for new patients to discuss what it really means to be on dialysis and any issues with other 'more experienced' renal patients.
* advocacy with community agencies such as WINZ and Housing New Zealand.
* A monthly coffee group open to all patients, their friends and families. This group goes on tour monthly to: Wellington, Porirua, Lower Hutt and Greytown. Go to News/Events to see dates. Come join us to share experiences, tips and support.
* an annual Kidney Roadshow to highlight issues for patients and increase awareness of kidney disease in our communities. This year the theme is 'Transplants' and will be held at Pataka in Porirua on 29th October. All welcome!
*a total mobility scheme is administered by WRKS through Greater Wellington Regional Council, which you may be eligible for to help you with transport costs- talk to our CSO for more information.
* as well as supporting patients with both national and international travel and finding dialysis units for your treatment.
* and more importantly our recent Fistula Bands for all renal patients. See below for more information.
Please enjoy perusing our website to see all the wonderful initiatives and support WRKS offers.
WRKS is always needing volunteers so if you have even just a couple of hours spare every month, please contact as at: firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest. Please support us!
We hope that this website can answer some of your questions.
Feel free to Contact Us for any further assistance.